Tools & Other Supplies Needed
White Fabric (for lining handbag)
#16 Tapestry Needle
Large Size Snag Puller (optional but very helpful)
Long Stitch Design Pattern (see illustrations)
Sewing Machine & Thread
Hand Sewing Needle and White Thread
Quick Grab Clear Drying Craft Glue
Techniques to Know
Needlepoint Long Stitch
Basic Hand Sewing
1. Cut the following pieces of plastic canvas: two 9” x 4 ½” (for sides of purse), one 9” x 1 9/16” (for bottom of purse), and two 1 9/16” x 4 ½” (for ends of purse).
2. First part of block design: Cut a 3 ½’ length of hemp cord. Load the middle of the cord onto the tapestry needle. Beginning with one of the 9” x 4 ½” pieces of plastic canvas, follow the needlepoint stitch pattern from image 1. (Stitch over the beginning tails of hemp, on the back side of the plastic canvas, with the next few stitches to secure them. When finished, either slide the tapestry needle and hemp cord underneath stitches on the bottom side of the plastic canvas or use large size snag puller to pull the tails through. Trim off remaining tails).
3. Finishing part of block design: Cut an arm’s length of hemp cord. Load the middle of the cord onto the tapestry needle. Finish the block design by following the needle point stitch pattern from image 2. Use the same techniques as in the previous step to hide your beginning and ending hemp tails.
4. Repeat steps 2-3 until the entire piece of plastic canvas is filled with the hemp design.
5. Use the same techniques as in steps 2 and 3 to fill in the remaining cut pieces of plastic canvas.
6. Joining the canvas pieces together: Joint pieces together at right angles using the whip stitch.
7. Finishing off top edges of handbag: Use the overcast stitch to finish off stitching around the top of the ends and sides of the bag,
8. Make purse liner: (Make sure all seems are facing in the same direction so they will be not show and be hidden under the liner.) Cut the following pieces of liner fabric: one 9 ¾” x 13” (sides and bottom liner) and two 7 ¾”” x 2” (ends of liner). Find the middle on one 9 ¾” side of the 9 ¾” x 13” piece of liner fabric. Pin the 2” end of a 7 ¾” x 2” piece onto the previous piece so the middles line up. Stitch together using sewing machine. Repeat on the other side.
9. Pin each side of one end liner piece to the side of the side and bottom liner piece (on that side) together. Stitch together so all seams will be hidden on the bottom side of the finished liner. Repeat this on the other end of the liner. (Test the liner by placing it inside the handbag to see how it fits. If necessary, make sewing adjustments so the liner will fit neatly inside the handbag.)
10. Turn the top of the liner under so it lines up with the top of the purse. Use needle and white thread to hand sew the top of the liner to the top inside of the purse.
11. Use quick grab clear drying craft glue to glue pearls and sequins onto the outside of the handbag as desired. Allow the glue to dry thoroughly before using handbag.
PRO TIPS: Inside pockets can be added to the liner if desired.
This Natural Hemp Cord is great for many kinds of projects as well as jewelry. Create beautiful weaves, braids, wrapped projects and more for endless possibilities!
Our hemp products are not intended for and have not been tested to any food safety standards. We do not recommend using with food or in the oven.
Take your design to the next level with this Gold 20 Gauge Copper Wire . Wire allows full control of shape and size, and a copper base provides a very sturdy finished piece. Use pliers or a wire jig to easily shape your ideas into reality.
Explore and express your creativity with these round sequins in shimmering colors. Sequins allow you to dress up everything from costumes to invitations and everything in between. There are approximately 200 pieces per container.
Each pack contains 200 pieces
10mm Cupped Sequin Beads
Color: Crystal Iridescent
Cupped Sequins are perfect for costumes, apparel, and arts & crafts projects